There’s a myth among many customers that their health insurance can cover cosmetic surgery expenses. But this is not true! It is specifically mentioned in the ‘Exclusion’ section of the health insurance bond. However, the cost of cosmetic surgery will be covered if it is recommended by the treating medical practitioner. The surgery cost can range around INR 1-2 lakh based on its types, which we will get to know in this post. We will first know the cost of these surgeries and then discuss how health insurance can help you deal with such expenses. Let’s get started!
Health Insurance Coverage for Cosmetic Surgery
Health insurance policies do cover cosmetic surgeries but under some terms and conditions. The coverage of such a surgery is possible either if it is the case of a life-saving situation, health-improving or beneficial in the treatment of an illness.
Suppose if a rhinoplasty or a nose job helps the insured person breathe better or improve the reconstruction of his/her nose, which got affected due to an accident, the same will be covered by the insurance company.
Health insurance shall also cover the additional cost of the cosmetic surgery, such as –
- X-rays, blood tests and other such diagnostic tests are required to check the insured current medical condition before the cosmetic surgery.
- Operation Theater Charges where the surgery will take place
- Surgeon and attendant’s fee as mentioned on the hospital/nursing home bill
- Cost of intravenous medication, anesthesia, etc. as prescribed by the attending doctor
- Expenses of medical equipment like brace or crutches
- Inpatient care expenses are based on the insured recovery time after the surgery. This includes room rent, boarding and nursing expenses.
Note:- Your cosmetic surgeries shall not be admissible to claim under health insurance if it is done merely because you want to change the way your nose, face or body should look.
Cost of Plastic Surgery Treatments in India
Having a health insurance plan will ensure you won’t have to shell out the following sums for different surgeries.
- Extensive Facelift: INR 1.5 Lakh to INR 2 Lakh
- Rhinoplasty: INR 1 Lakh to INR 1.5 Lakh
- Liposuction: INR 50,000 to INR 2 Lakh
- Tummy Tuck: INR 1 Lakh to INR 2 Lakh
- Dermabrasion: INR 1 Lakh to INR 1.5 Lakh
- Breast Augmentation: INR 1 Lakh to INR 1.5 Lakh
What are Types of Plastic Surgery?
Mainly, there are two categories of plastic surgeries – reconstructive and cosmetic/aesthetic surgery. Mostly, health insurance covers the reconstructive type of plastic surgery, which is as follows:-
- Burn Surgery: Burn surgeries are carried out in two phases – one is the acute burn surgery that is done immediately after the accident, while the other is the reconstructive burn surgery that is carried when the burn wounds get healed.
- Microsurgery: This plastic surgery deals with the restoration of missing tissues. Here, each piece of tissue is transferred to the site of reconstruction and later the blood vessels are reconnected to the tissue. Some common kinds of microsurgery are breast reconstruction, brachial plexus surgery, and neck reconstruction.
- Craniofacial Surgery: Under this type of plastic surgery, congenital irregularities are treated in the craniofacial skeleton and soft tissues like craniosynostosis, cleft lip, etc. In adults, craniofacial surgery mostly involves fractures and secondary surgeries, along with orthognathic surgery.
- Hand Surgery: If an acute injury, chronic hand or wrist diseases or peripheral nerve problems like carpal tunnel syndrome require cosmetic surgery, the same will be covered under hand surgery.
Cosmetic Surgery Popular Among Men
- Nose surgery
- Eyelid surgery
- Hair transplantation
Cosmetic Surgery Popular Among Women
- Breast augmentation
- Collagen treatment
- Eyelid surgery
- Tummy tuck or abdominoplasty